What a way to end the year! Not only did The HR Leadership Forum host a very successful networking social on June 7th, we also welcomed world-renowned talent management expert Marc Effron to share the key insights from his new best-selling book“8 Steps to High Performance” to a standing room-only crowd of HR leaders.
Marc’s research conclusions from the book – the 8 steps – were derived from observable, science-tested conclusions and synthesized into simple, actionable steps. By focusing on “The Flexible 50%” - what people CAN change - these steps will lead to higher performance for those willing to invest the time and energy . Through a dynamic presentation, Marc reviewed and gave examples for each of the 8 steps:
- Set Big Goals – how to set goals that create higher performance
- Behave to Perform – which behaviors predict higher performance in different situations
- Grow Yourself Faster – how to quickly develop the most important capabilities
- Connect – who to connect with and why
- Maximize Your Fit – how to understand and adapt to your company’s strategy
- Fake It – why you sometimes shouldn’t be the “genuine” you (a real conversation-starter!)
- Commit Your Body – how to best manage your body for high performance
- Avoid Distractions – cutting out the noise/distractions
With a practitioner’s background, Marc gave examples of application in the real work world – how to identify and overcome your natural derailers, how to be “on” when you need to be, and the fact that high performers generally work harder. All the conclusions have been supported by his extensive review of empirical literature in order to give simple, straightforward advice. Because they are based on basic human behavior, they apply across all industries and demographics, albeit with some nuance in delivery.
The group then performed an interactive exercise by identifying the one step we would each focus on and seeking the most peer feedback we could in 5 minutes… an engaging, energizing, and fairly loud exercise with 120 people! After everyone returned to their seats (ready to make a few changes), Marc concluded with further ideas on how to use the 8 Steps - integrating content into leadership courses, offering a development course, using as a coaching diagnostic/development tool, or giving 8 Steps to every employee at on-boarding.
Click here for a copy of Marc’s presentation. To learn more about his book:www.8steps.com.
Finally, we would like to express our gratitude to the members, sponsors and speakers who made this past year extremely successful! Have a great summer and we look forward to seeing you in September!
Date and Time:
Friday, June 7, 2019
Registration and breakfast social: 8am to 9:30am
Program: 9:30am to 11:00am
HRCI & SHRM Credit available to attendees
- Our programs are FREE for members
- A member may send a substitution in their place to any program they are unable to attend.
- Each member will be permitted to bring ONE GUEST (non-member) per PROGRAM YEAR.
- If you would like to register a guest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the guest's name, email address, and organization name. Our administrator will register the guest and confirm with both the member and guest.